My Favorite Books

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Another new project

OK, so this isn't an art quilt....I stopped at one of our local knit shops on Wed. (you can read why here!) and saw this really cute knitted cover.

The pattern is on Ravelry but they are having a class starting next week for 3 weeks so I signed up!!   Could I knit this by self...probably, but there are some tips and techniques I'll learn so I am looking forward to the class.

Sally Melville, who created the pattern, said "no one knows what to call it".  She said "it's not a cape, not a poncho, not a shrug, shawl or cowl".  I did try one on that was already knitted up at the shop....you only put one arm and your head though!!

I think it's really cool and I know I'll use often in Florida as well as in the spring and fall in Michigan!  I purchased a really nice gray yarn, since I wear so much black and gray.



You can knit this in either the Garter or seed stitch.  The sample in the shop was in the seed stitch, which I'd prefer to do.  Just looks different.

So, this weekend, I need to work up my swatch - no, I'm not always good at doing that!  But it is our homework assignment to have ready for next week...and since I'm there to learn, I'll be a good student and do the swatch!!

Yes, I am still working on my Tiffany piece...that's good hand work at night..and I have started using the yarn (yep, that yarn that got me into all this trouble!) to knit a lace scarf.  I'm only about 2" along so I have a ways to go with that.  The yarn is silk and using #7 needles will take awhile.  But worth it in the end,right!  Gotta keep those hands busy!!!!  Isn't there a saying "idle hands are the devil's workshop" or something to that effect!!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting little knitted whatever it is. I'm thinking of making a Rhuana if I can find material in my Totes and Totes of stash.

    Have fun with the class and post a pic of you in it when you're done.

    Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an interesting little wrap to wear. I love grey and wear a lot of blacks and greys. You will look beautiful my friend...

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!