My Favorite Books

Thursday, October 9, 2014

World Wide Blog Hop

Do you know about the 'World Wide Blog Hop'?  Well, because I live in a cave I wasn't aware of it until Sherrie (Sherrie Loves Color blog)  contacted via email.   Sherrie nominated me to take part in this bloghop, which sounded like fun.   There are 4 questions to answer in addition to nominating other bloggers to participate!  You can see Sherrie's answers by going to her blog post here.  And are my answers:

What am I working on?  


Well, I'm always working on something....I love having some hand project to work on at night while watching TV (I can't just sit and watch TV) or sitting outside on the deck!   Hand work or beading is perfect TV work!  And I always have more than one project to work on at a time...before I'm finished with one, there's another one in the works!

So 'one' of my current projects is my Tiffany Peacock for our 'Masters Exhibit'.  

I've finished all the quilting and now the hand stitching and possibly beading will be the current TV work!  

Also, my Horse Hex quilt needs  to be quilted and  perhaps some beading for the mane and tail.  Most of my work have beads on them...so this piece won't be any different!

How does my work differ from others of its genre?   Why do I create what I do?   I combined both of these questions!

 Seriously!  I am not a professional quilter so I can't say my work 'fits' into any specific genre!  I create my art when and if idea hits or I see a bead or picture I'd like to make into a quilt...whatever hits me!  This is why I have some many projects that I'm working on at one time.

How does my creating process work?  Let's be honest here folks!  I don't really have a creative process.  I may have multiple projects I'm working on and I'll grab a piece of fabric or see a new technique and off I go!  I may sketch out a quick drawing, print out a coloring page from the web or trace something onto paper or in my notebook.  From there, depending on the size I need, I'll enlarge it to size then decide if I'm piecing, beading, painting or dyeing!  

For example, this was my inspiration for creating my hex horse quilt.  I loved this picture and of course, because I love hand work, I thought making a horse out of hexie's would be fitting!

So off I went looking for a horse coloring page, which I enlarged to 16"x20".   Once I had the hexie's made I started to work on the background.  I knew the colors I wanted but since I only had a few pieces of hand dyed fabric, I  had to piece the background.  Worked for me!  

So that's a little insight to my so called 'process'....it's not exact....not what perhaps others do but it is me! 


Hope you will enjoy meeting some new bloggers on the World Wide Blog Hop!!!  These are my nominee's!   "Hop" over and you will definitely enjoy reading and learning about each of them as well as perhaps learning some new techniques!!  ENJOY!


Cyndi (and her bettr half, Mike!)
From Beading Arts

 Cyndi Lavin is a mixed media artist, jewelry designer, and writer living in central Massachusetts. She strongly believes that life and art are intertwined, that we are all works of art, designed by God to be creative beings, and that part of our purpose in life consists of discovering the things that we were meant to create. Cyndi's work appears in many art and jewelry books, as well as in popular magazines.  She enjoys sharing her art adventures and tutorials through her daily blog,
http://www.beading-arts.com/


Laurie
From Artsy Chick Quilts


Laurie Ceesay is a fiber artist, national quilting instructor, quilt pattern designer and hairstylist with a degree in Clothing, Textiles and Design. Her specialty is portrait quilts and she is inspired by the hair and fashion industry, pop culture and retro looks from the 40s-70s. Her award winning quilts have been displayed at national juried and invitational quilt shows and art galleries, in published books and magazines and on Season 13 of Quilting Arts TV on PBS.  Laurie lives in Menominee, Michigan and you can see more of Laurie's work on her web site, http://www.laurieceesay.com/


Monique
From Ladybug's Cabin Textile Art & Quilting
Monique was born in the Flathead Valley and raised on the same farm where her grandfather grew up.

"Just as my father took up the plow from his father, I learned to love and work with fabric from my mother. An avid quilter and teacher, mom's works lit my creative fire, and much of what I've learned has come from our playing and experimenting together."

Her introduction into the arts began at age 3 with ballet.  Dance soon opened the door to theater, and after college she worked as a professional performer and director based out of Seattle--traveling across North America and as far away as Australia. 

Monique's flair for the dramatic fused into her quilting after attending a class with her mother taught by thread artist Ellen Anne Eddy.  There, she learned the basics of dyeing fabric, and the joys of layers upon layers of thread.

Now, living on the Swan river, Monique draws a lot of inspiration from the natural beauty around us; the constantly-changing seasons, and the majestic (and sometimes humorous) animals that wander by daily."

Monique's work includes traditional quilting techniques, appliqué, bobbin work and thread painting, along with hand-dyed and hand-painted fabric. Many compositions include three-dimensional objects with a variety of fibers and textures. 

Her work can be seen regularly at Paint, Metal and Mud Art Gallery in the historic Kalispell Grand Hotel,  the Bigfork Art Museum, and Palmer Union Design in Great Falls and on her website: www.ladybugscabin.com


3 comments:

  1. How nice that you put faces with names.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your quilting on the blog hop. I really like your hexie horse project....very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your creative journey via this Around The World Blog Hop. I had to decline for being gone so much this year. As you can see I am late again to your party and I am playing catch-up. Dare to Delight...

    ReplyDelete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!