My Favorite Books

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Patchwork #2 progress

I drew out a partial quilting design today for my patchwork piece (thanks Susan for the large tracing paper!).  I didn't have any with me in Florida so Susan gave me some pieces...I didn't think to leave the paper in Florida so I brought it home with me...but I digress....here is the design I traced out.



Here it's overlaid on top of my patchwork piece.  I'm liking it well enough so I used some Transdoddle tracing paper to transfer the circles and lines to the patchwork.


  Beth (from Quilter Beth's Blog) suggested I might use light blue or even yellow thread for my hand stitching!!  Who knew!!!  I did try the light blue but didn't like it...here I just laid the yellow along with the dark blue...but I'm thinking the yellow might be a perfect accent for using in some hand stitching!!  Thanks, Beth!!!
When I did the hand stitching on my Hex Horse #1, I used orange thread in just a few of the stitching lines (red and blue were my primary threads).  You can see just two of the orange threads in this picture, in one of the corners.   So who knows...the yellow might be a perfect accent or addition to stitching with just blue thread!!

I've already machine stitched the straight lines from each circle, which you can see in this picture.  I was curious as to how the dark blue thread would look and didn't want to wait to hand stitch...plus, it just secures the patchwork a tad more (I've already stitched in the ditch in several areas).  The dark blue thread  almost looks black in this picture but it really is dark blue.
So another good traveling project...that is, it travels from the sewing room to the living room at night!  I don't plan on starting the hand stitching yet..I like to let work sit and then look at it again.  I've been known to rip out stitches so the machine work could still come out!  You never know do you!

4 comments:

  1. I really like the circular design you came up with. And yes, that yellow may be just the right touch. I'm like you- many of my projects go along slowly while they "invent themselves".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool. I bet the right shade of yellow would be perfect. I had never heard of Transdoodle. Have you used Saral? If you have, how do they compare? Just wondering.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transdoodle is more chalky, which I don"t care for but Saral (which I have) sheets are too small...hence, I went for transdoodle!

      Delete
    2. Transdoodle is more chalky, which I don"t care for but Saral (which I have) sheets are too small...hence, I went for transdoodle!

      Delete

Had to put Word Verification back in! Getting strange messages!!!